You gotta FIGHT! For your RIGHT! TO PARTAY!!!!!
If you knew me in high school, you know that I may have had an obsession with the Beastie Boys. We may have even called ourselves B-Girls. Ha! Enough about that...
Well, this morning I am having a PARTAY right here in my living room.
People! Especially WOMEN...this is for you.
Stand up for yourself! This has taken me 35 years to really learn.
Stand up for what you believe in.
Do NOT let anyone walk all over you, or take advantage of you.
It might be a fight, but this is a fight that is worth it! (and can be done respectfully)
In the last 4 months, we have had two experiences where people tried to take advantage of me/us.
The first was a small fender bender, where the other party opened their door in the middle of the street to let their child out to school. I was parked alongside them. Their door punctured our front bumper. No big deal. We can just talk and work it out. Well, he wanted to try and intimidate me. He was probably embarrassed, but the way he expressed this, was by yelling at me and telling me I was wasting his time. I had to stand my ground. My voice was shaking, but I told him that I thought it was his fault and he needed to pay for the repairs. It took about 8-10 phone calls, with lots of telling, retelling and explaining to multiple people. Two different appointments for estimates. Even though it wasn't my fault, it still took quite a bit of work to make the repairs happen. But then, one beautiful afternoon, a check for $850 was waiting in our mailbox. Justice.
THEN, we received a HORRIBLE bill for 5 different doctors appointments, totaling over $2,000 (I know it could be much worse, but that is A LOT of money to us). Our insurance was saying that they no longer covered that doctor and it was now our responsibility to pay for the bills out of pocket. Well, that was not going to happen since they had never notified us of the change. It ended up being a small clerical error on their part, but NO ONE wanted to take responsibility. Each person just kept passing me on to the next person, in hopes that they wouldn't have to deal. It was infuriating. I'm sure they make tons of money this way, because people just give up. Well, I was not about to. They finally denied our claim and we were given an attorney. I made call after call and sent in e-mails and copies of the bills with explanations. Just 30 minutes ago we got the VICTORIOUS call we have been waiting for. They are ACKNOWLEDGING their error and paying for the bills in house!!!!! JUSTICE!!!!!
And all of these things were accomplished with respect for the other party. I didn't have to be rude to get things accomplished, I just had to stand my ground and give the facts (over and over and over) ;)
I seriously had to pull over and I just kept hootin' and hollerin' with joy and excitement! It feels so good! I am just so overwhelmed with gratefulness and feel so very thankful. Hard work pays off!
Stand your ground and stand up for what you KNOW is RIGHT!
Yay!!! I do know that feeling and it's soooo frustrating in the face of these big faceless organizations. Especially dealing with big medical clinics and insurance... :(
ReplyDeleteGood for you!
And Cat, you are so right about "them" just thinking that you will just "give Up". Becaquse most people do. because they are working during the office hours or because the insurance company must be right or because it's just too frustrating or whatever!! Good for you But this is definitely one of those age/wisdom events!!!
ReplyDeletei am so absolutely thrilled for you guys cat! what wonderful news. and what a proud and joyous feeling to know that you handled it with integrity and respect. awesome!
ReplyDeleteYou are awesome and I wish so badly that we lived closer to one another so that I could just dance and sing with you all the time! Your outlook on life is the BEST!!! And, I'm SOOOO excited with you that you were able to handle these situations so well! Go Cat!
ReplyDelete