Monday, December 26, 2011

Melkam Gena

Melkam Gena is Amharic for Merry Christmas. Ethiopian Christmas is celebrated on January 7, but we included it in our Christmas traditions this year. We invited my family over for Christmas dinner, so there were 10 adults and 4 children. I wanted it to feel like a cultural experience, but we obviously don't have all the decorations, traditional dress or dishes, but we sure made do with what we have. When a guest arrived, I greeted them with a scarf on my head. I wished them, "Melkam Gena," and kissed both cheeks. I then inquired about their family, their health, their crops and such. It is polite in Ethiopian culture to ask all of these things when greeting someone, and then you can move on to the day to day topics. We didn't tell anyone we were going to do this, and everyone loved it. It is traditional to bow to your elders, so I touched my forehead to my father's and mother's hands as I welcomed them. We've even read that grandchildren will sometimes kiss the knees of their grandparents. We had Ethiopian music playing and the food filled the house with rich aromas. You are immediately transported to another place.

We gathered in prayer to bless the evening, and I just cried, as I asked the Lord that this be the last Christmas without our child at home. It was very emotional as we prepared the food, dreaming of our child and praying that he or she is healthy and safe while we are apart.

We have a rectangular table, which makes it a little hard to have a communal dish, so I made three big plates, and everyone reached and shared. I used 2 beer trays and a big plate. You put the injera (sourdough tasting, spongy tortilla that you use to pick up your food) on the platter and then put a bit of everything. No utensils, just hands. My sister had come over in the afternoon and we cooked everything together. We served Doro Wat (chicken stew), Beef Tibs, Mesir Wat, and Chickpea Wat. Everyone had a such a fun time. It was the highlight of my Christmas.



We are so blessed! We also had a really encouraging gift this year. We have friends that are missionaries in China. They have 3 little girls, and they are very special. When we first announced we are adopting, they immediately sent us $200. Here is a family that has given up being near their family and friends to go spread the love of Jesus on the other side of the world. They've given up comforts and material things, because they are in love with Jesus, and they want the whole world to know this kind of love. They've had to raise support and turn their lives upside down, and they do it all for the Lord, and yet they give to generously. Well, this Christmas their mother said she would donate to a charity in their honor, and guess what charity they chose to support??? Our family's adoption! So, for Christmas this year, their gift was giving to bring OUR child home. There really is LOVE in the world. Real, trusting, supportive, sacrificial LOVE. And this feast we had, celebrated the giver of all love, as we thanked God for the gift of His SON.
Melkam Gena!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing cat! I can't wait to hear about next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most amazing family every! <3 such a sweet story to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good! You'll have to share your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! I am so impresssed! We finally got to try Ethiopian food (and loved it!) but I have never tried to cook it! It looks like it was a very special night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special night. I love that you guys did it. You sure are a special family. I can't wait to meet your new little one:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to cry and smile at the same time as I read your blog and saw the photos. You are so fun, Cat Blincoe (yes, I know you are a Besk, but I always call you Cat Blincoe! -- forgive me Kenny!)
    I know your family was so proud of you for putting on your first Ethiopian Christmas. Your forever child will be mightily blessed when he/she finally makes it "home". Hugs......

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post!!! I love that you had a Melkam Gena! Great post! Our numbers are slowly getting lower. I keep saying, "In His time. In His time."

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks awesome!! Can't wait to try this with our little one, hopefully this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Catherine-- I've been so behind in blog reading, and I'm SO HAPPY I caught up and read this. You are such a bright & shining light, my friend. Your writing made me cry, and I'm just so excited to see what God has in store for you guys. Thank you for sharing this! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stumbled across your blog while looking for recipes for Melkam Gena. Would you mind sharing your Beef Tibs recipe? I cannot find it anywhere online and our son and husband love it. I am trying to prepare a traditional Ethiopian dinner since it is our first one with our son from Ethiopia. Thank you!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete