Friday, November 25, 2011

Some quarters and $6.00 - Putting the FUN in FUN-draising!

This journey of fundraising has been amazing! It really has been fun! We try to keep it simple, with one main goal. I was so nervous about raising all of the funds, but from the very beginning God provided, and He has every step of the way. Many times we would have exactly what was needed in our adoption account. We sent out support letters, we have had yard sales, a benefit concert, photography auctions, a karaoke night, and a harvest festival. (You can click on the event to see the blogpost that goes with it) It has truly been incredible. Many times God has provided in really big ways, where families have felt led to give big chunks of money, but this story is really about how God has provided through the small. I'm talking 25 cents and $6.00. Every little bit counts, and every time it is somehow multiplied.

My newest favorite was this: My dear friend Kimberly Stark's children made some artwork and sold it in their front yard for 25 cents a piece. They ended up raising $45! See how God multiplies? Thank you Emma and Luke! We love you!

The other day after church I was talking to a friend, Amber West. She was asking about the adoption and how the fundraising was going. I was telling her how we've been brainstorming and the different miracles we've seen within the adoption community. We've had great successes, and one really big flop that I can already laught about. =) I said, "If every one of my Facebook friends gave $6.00 to our adoption fund, then we'd be completely funded." So she said, "OK," and opened her wallet and gave us $6.00. =) It's this type of stuff that encourages us along the way. Whether it's $1,000, $6.00 or 25 cents, when given with an open and willing heart, it is the SAME!

We recently applied to Lifesong for Orphans (a wonderful organization) for a matching grant of up to $3,000. We were really hoping for this last boost to get us to the finish line. They called us yesterday and told us that we did NOT receive the grant, but we can use them as a way to make our donations tax-deductible (which we will begin doing February 1st). I know we didn't get the grant because another family needed the money more than we do. I can't say I wasn't disappointed, but we know God will keep providing. So, it's back to the drawing board. I got out all of my brainstorming ideas yesterday and worked on some new ideas. We only have $6,000 to go, which is really small when you compare it to how much we've already raised. I'm definitely needing some fresh ideas and motivation. If you're looking for some inspiration, read Julie Gumm's book, "Adopt Without Debt," and visit her website www.adoptwithoutdebt.com

All of this to say, don't let the cost of adoption stop you. If you feel led to adopt, do it! If your heart is burdened to help a family raise funds to adopt, do it. Never think that your $10 won't help. I am so amazed by the story that God is writing. And so, I leave you with this video of Kristi and Lucy. I've shared it before, and I'll share it again. When Kenny and I watched this, our thoughts of adopting were 100% confirmed. In fact, we sent in our pre-application to AGCI the very next day!
If you can't get enough of sweet Lucy Lane, you can see how she grew in her first year home with her forever family and follow their blog http://weloveourlucy.blogspot.com/ It doesn't end with Lucy, wait until you meet baby Wes. =)

2 comments:

  1. I love your heart and attitude with fundraising - it encourages me. God has been faithful with a huge chunk for us but lately, I think I've been letting the remaining amount seem heavy and "up to us," and forgetting who is the author of our entire adoption journey and every single detail. I'm excited to keep looking to Him - He is already shown He is more than faithful!

    SO looking forward to C4C with you : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep hanging in there. It will all come to pass. God has already gone before you in this matter and He has it all planned out. Just walk with Him, trust Him and watch......... God is good -- all the time!
    Lots of love and prayers to you dear ones!

    ReplyDelete