Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Airport Parties

It has taken me a while to write this post, because the experience was so emotional for me, I didn't know how to share it.

Airport Party: A celebration at the airport of family and friends when someone arrives home with their newly adopted child.

Everyone has waited so long, and before the family goes into their cocoon (the time after you adopt where you stay at home and attach, bond, and become a family - that usually lasts for three months) people want to meet your child. So, everyone gathers at the airport and waits for the family to walk through the doors to welcome them home. Just over a month ago, I attended my first aiport party. I had seen quite a few online, but never witnessed such a thing. I had reservations. Are we going to overwhelm the child? How can the parents even handle seeing people after 30 hours of travel with their child they just met?

Well, my friend was coming home with her two children, and I knew I was invited to welcome them home. So, I decided to drive up to Sacramento (3 hours north of here), with her sister, Melody. Our drive ended up being 4 hours due to traffic, and we were starting to freak out, because we didn't want to miss a moment. Their flight was even a bit early. We made it with plenty of time to spare. We all stood there with our welcome signs in hand, standing on tip-toe, trying to get a glimpse. They had made plans before they left to have their son Joshua come and meet his new siblings first, so they could have their first moment as a family of 5 in private (so special)!

We saw Joshua run towards them and they all embraced. Then the 5 of them came down the escalators toward us. It was surreal. They were here! They were home. Nicole and I started this process just months apart. Her family was just 5 behind us on the boy list, until they changed their parameters to siblings! We met at our very first training together, back in the fall of 2010 (although we have quite a history of our families crossing paths). She grew up here, but now lives 3 hours away, but her family is still here. We've journeyed together. Sending each other e-mails with questions or encouraging notes. Every now and then we would call each other when we were upset or needed someone to ground us and get refocused again. Nicole always helping me to get everything organized and I was always believing that our referrals were only a day away. On this journey, you form deep bonds with people. You share things you might not share with others you've known for years. You just "GET" each other, and so the bond is fierce and strong.

Back to the airport party. Nicole's dearest friends and family were there, so I hung back while they all greeted and hugged. I only knew a few people there, and wanted to give everyone their space and honor their time as they met Shaun and Hope for the first time. As things settled down, I walked closer to Nicole. Hope was asleep (completely passed out) in the baby carrier. When I made eye contact with Nicole, she knew and I knew. She placed both of her hands on my face in the most gentle way. She looked right into my eyes. I promise you, it was like Jesus holding me and looking at me. She said, "There are so many children in need. They are waiting for you. They need you." Then I buried my face in her neck, with her angel sleeping between us, and wept outloud. I mean that is not normal. =) She said, "I'm sorry it's taking so long! It will happen." I sort of shouted/cried/sobbed, "I'm so happy for you. They're finally home!" This experience is the only way I can try and explain the intimacy and bond that is created between adoptive families. So much love. So much support.

I finally pulled myself together and just watched the beautiful scene unfold. Tears of joy. Laughter. Rejoicing. Prayers. Hope woke up and we all were immediately smitten. Shaun stayed by his Daddy's side for the first hour, until he decided his new buddies and brother were safe and fun. We sat in the airport for over 2 hours. We all just soaked in that Hope and Shaun were home.

What a night. I had a dear friend there, and I found I could barely speak to her. The night was too emotional. I felt fragile, but full. My cup was running over. I could see the future. I could imagine our child coming home. This whole crazy story has an ending, that really turns into the beginning.

I hope you'll join us one day at the airport to welcome our child home and celebrate the beginning of our life as a family of 5!

Here are some pics from that glorious night!
Waiting for them to arrive!!





5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful story! Pretty soon you will have YOUR airport party story. Can you believe that?

    We just got on the waiting list and have a long way to go, but I still get emotional over these stories--I can't imagine if I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful we are in the process of adopting through the foster-care system. It all makes me cry and feel so connected to other families who adopt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not WAIT until your airport party. It's coming. So excited to meet the precious child that God has as the 5th Besk:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very very special that you got to share in this moment in the lives of this dear family. I know you are glad you took the time to travel all the way there for just a few minutes of sharing the joy. Lord willing, I would like to be at YOUR airport party someday, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your heart. We have to have a playdate one of these days and you can tell me ALL about your adoption. I am a HUGE adoption fan, and we need to get to know one another better so that I can be part of your support village when your child(ren) comes. : )

    Visit me and browse my right-hand sidebar if you want to "meet" wise, Godly women who have gone before you, or are also bringing kids home! http://www.oblesseday.blogspot.com/

    (Start with No Greater Joy Mom and The Blessing of Verity, if you are new to those blogs. You will be encouraged!)

    ReplyDelete