One thing that I wasn't expecting was all the outrage directed at people acknowledging the hurt in Paris. People were outraged over people's outrage. WHAT? How about we be proud of people for caring. If they don't know about Lebanon, you can educate and share. Here is an example, "We stand with Paris and Beirut." Or anything that is kind, and not adding more hate to a situation.
I was reading a post by Jen Hatmaker on Facebook, where she was upset, "Embarrassed and ashamed at Governor Greg Abbott's response to Syrian refugees written to President Obama: "As governor of Texas, I write to inform you that the State of Texas will not accept any refugees from Syria in the wake of the deadly terrorist attack in Paris." She then quoted this, "Rachel Held Evans put it well:
'Turning them away not only violates the U.S. constitution and international laws concerning refugees, it also runs totally contrary to the posture toward strangers & immigrants advocated throughout Scripture and in the teachings of Jesus.'"
She was sharing her heart and how she believed that there is always room to love big and help in big ways. She didn't spread any hate, and was just sharing her passion for people. Well, the comments that I read in response, made me tear up. I wished that I could go back and unread them. They were spiteful and hurtful and angry and mean. This was my response to all of the negative comments,Catherine Blincoe Besk Thank you Jen Hatmaker. I am heartbroken by these responses. I wish I could go back and never have read them. They will know we are Christians by our love. Anyone that is throwing out statistics about homeless vets or foster care, better be a volunteer in a homeless shelter or in the process of applying to foster or adopt.(I said these exact things, because that is what the comments were related to. I don't think everyone should foster or adopt. There are many ways to take part. You can donate, you can help someone else who is adopting, you can babysit someone's children while they are at court. There are a million ways to take positive action.) If you want to get all up in arms about something, it means it's time for action. Righteous anger is powerful. Faith without action is dead. If you are this upset by Jen's opinion and passion, then it is time to act on yours. Jen has already opened her heart and home and adopted 2 children, goes out and loves the people in the inner city, and I'm sure feeds half the neighborhood weekly. How dare you direct your anger and outrage at her! Direct it towards the evil, and go put some good in the world!!! You are obviously upset and passionate, use that as your drive! You have the power to effect change in the world. Go and love big! If you are already volunteering, serving, and loving big, then keep up the good work!
We are given only one life. We have the chance to love people in BIG ways. Comfort is overrated. Jumping into the storm with people is where there is life. Hearts open, arms spread out, eyes wide, living daily with the intention of adding more love to the world. I am not perfect. It is so easy for me to want comfort and normalcy and easy, but I know that life to the fullest is when we dive into relationship with people and share our time, our energy, our love.
I know so many of us feel helpless with all of the attacks and evil that are happening around the world and in our own country. I thought it would be helpful to put together a list of human rights' organizations of ways to help. You can serve in so many ways. Sometimes it is through donation, or through giving of your time, or through spreading the word and raising awareness. We all have different gifts, and there are so many great ways to use them! Just click on the country or cause that you are passionate about and see how you can help and get involved. Please forgive me for anything I do not mention. I just felt the hurt and outrage mounting, and wanted to express myself in a positive manner. Please share your favorite cause in the comments. Remember to click on the WORD, not the picture to find out more info.
BEIRUT
A few of our favorites...
This is where we live and volunteer, so obviously it is our heart's passion ;)
My precious friend Jenny Marrs and her husband Dave started this organization to feed orphaned children in the DRC.
Back to Africa
Beads for Life
Better Life Bags
Charity Water
Feeding the Orphans
Given Goods
Haitian Creations
Handcrafting Justice
Hill Country Hill Tribers
Indego Africa
Jessie G Clothing
Johari Creations
Just Love Coffee
Krochet Kids
Lifesong for Orphans
Light Gives Heat
Live Fashionable
Love 41
Mata Traders
Nisolo
Noonday Collection
No. 41
Oliberte
Olive Tree Promise
Ordinary Hero
Padhma Creations
Parker Clay
Punjammies
Red Earth Trading Company
Rooted in Love
Seeko Designs
Sevenly
Show Hope
soleRebels
The Mighty River Project
The Root Collective
The Sparrow Studio
Think CoPo
TOMS
Tukula
Visiting Orphans
Voices 4 the Voiceless
147 Million Orphans
31 Bits
And I know my friend Robie (Robin Krill) loves and serves at KUZA.
I have barely touched on the many opportunities that there are to give and help. I didn't even touch on environmental issues and animals. Whatever your passion is, you have it for a reason!! Feel free to share your favorite organization in the comments! Spread LOVE!

You are the best! Though the mountains may fall and the hills turn to dust, yet the love of the Lord will stand - YOU are HIS HANDS on this earth and I am tearing up with gratitude that through all the sadness and chaos and hatred and evil and fear, there are the steadfast, the brave, the committed, the faithful. I love you so much, Catherine. Thank you for this wonderful list.
ReplyDeleteI just love you. a perfect response. AMEN.
ReplyDelete(And thank you for including Feed Their Tummies!❤️)
Oh, I love when someone can put into words how I've been feeling. I sure do love you, and I LOVE that list of how to shop with a purpose!!!
ReplyDelete