Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving. Not the kind with turkey and stuffing, although my mom's thanksgiving spread is like no other and totally, ridiculously delicious. Thanksgiving. The Giving of Thanks....

If you know me well, you know how I feel about my family. That was definitely the scariest part about coming out here, leaving my family. I love them all so much. I love being apart of their everyday lives. I like going to every game and screaming for my nephew. I like big meals at my mom's house with a nice family walk afterwards. But, I knew God was calling us out of that season of life, to come and help these children that need to be rescued. When I would start to fear about leaving, the reality of the trafficked children and what they are enduring would shock me back out of my own selfishness.

Two weeks after we left for Thailand, my father was rushed to the hospital. Basically one of my biggest fears coming true. Each morning I would wake around 6 and call home and wait anxiously to see if he made it through the night. It was so scary and hard. I couldn't be there. All I could do was pray. He was in the hospital for 20 days! 20 days! That is a long time. Everyone was exhausted. My sisters and their families and my mother were so faithful and steadfast. He is healed and so strong. We are so thankful. I have missed my family. I sometimes ache for them. I ache to be known like only your family and closest friends can know you. The waves of homesickness will come crashing down on me, and then they will settle in between sets.

I am generally a very positive, optimistic person. I love seeing the good in people, and love seeing people shine. I just realized this week that I need to switch my mindset. Being thankful is fairly easy for me, and helps me see the good in others and brings my heart joy. A spirit of thankfulness. It's so simple, but it helps to turn my sadness into joy. Appreciating the little things has always helped me. So instead of seeing all of the differences and hard around me, I am working on training myself to see how much I have to be thankful for.

I am so thankful for Grace International School, where the girls are having incredible opportunities to learn and blossom.

I am so thankful for the friendships that I have made, and that they will only get deeper.

My friend Suzanne and her family leave tomorrow to meet her daughter in South Africa. T is coming home to her forever family!

I am so thankful to be a part of an organization that puts people before any agenda. They are humble and compassionate and love so big.

I love seeing my husband doing what he loves. We have never been closer, and I am so thankful for his friendship and loyalty. We fought to get where we are, and I love that man so much.

I am so thankful for our children. They wear me out. Parenting is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it is my privilege to love these babies of mine.

I am so thankful that our children are being exposed to the kind of prayer life that I didn't know or understand until I was an adult. We went to the prayer night at ZOE on Monday. They blast music, and it is dark so you are not distracted. We were outside and there was a breeze. You can sit quietly, or you can walk around and pray for others. People come and put their hand on your shoulder and quietly pray for you. Lucy came and put her hand on my shoulder and prayed over me. I watched my daughters pray for each other, and then go and lay their hands on others. I mean, this is it. This is life to the fullest. My heart was full to bursting.

I am so thankful that I will see my father again on this earth. I love to think about their arrival and touching and seeing my parents. It made me tear up just to write that.

Give thanks with a grateful heart. (Don Moen "Give Thanks)
Give thanks to the Holy One.
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ His Son

I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart (from Psalm 100:4)
I will enter His gates with praise
I will say this is the day that the Lord has made
I will rejoice for He has made me glad... (sing with me now)

He has made me glad!
He has made me glad!
I will rejoice for he has made me glad!

If you want to read our latest newsletter, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment