Friday, February 8, 2013

Get out of the boat

"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

"Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "LORD, save me!"

IMMEDIATELY Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down.

Matthew 14:28-32

I really needed this reminder today, and again God's Word covered me in His love and reassurance.

I love this quote from Jesus Calling, (said as though Jesus is speaking to you) "When you feel yourself sinking in the sea of circumstances, say 'Help me Jesus!' and I will draw you back to Me. If you have to say that thousands of times daily, don't be discouraged. I know your weakness, and I meet you in that very place."

I was holding on to the side of the boat for a long time. Clinging to my plans, my comfort. Trying to do things my way. I still catch myself trying to put on a life preserver sometimes, just to cover my back. But that is not what God asked us to do. He said, "Come."
I want to dive in!

What is God calling you out of the boat to do?
Do you need to put your faith in Him for the first time? Is He calling you to care for your neighbor, share His love with a stranger? Is He calling you to give more of your time, talents, or money? He might be calling you to foster or adopt, or sponsor a child. Whatever it is, DIVE IN! He will catch you. He will never leave you. That doesn't mean that it won't be hard, or that He won't give you more than you can handle. God never promised to not give you more than you can handle, but He DID promise to  carry you, hold you, walk with you, and catch you. You will not sink if you reach out to Him.

Lord, save me!
Help me Jesus!

Step out in faith.

All you have to do is get out of the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment